Since 2005, I have worked with dementia specific groups. Groups can take place both in the general facility or in dementia specific wings. These groups have been used both to increase participation in a meaningful activity and to assist managing complex behaviours during sun-downing hours.
Goals of sessions include but are not limited to:
- Increase appropriate receptive and expressive language skills
- Provide sensory stimulation
- Providing opportunities to to recall and share memories
- Elevate mood and reduce distress, anxiety and fear
- Foster opportunities for self-expression
- Promote sense of mastery through strength based therapy
- To increase positive social interaction including eye-contact, meaningful verbal interactions and responses to others
- To foster sense of belonging and security
- To decrease feelings of isolation and withdrawal
Dementia specific groups are flexible to best suit the quickly changing needs of clients. Although I plan each session if residents are unresponsive to an activity or if new needs present I adapt my session accordingly.